“Since its inception, our faithful and generous donors have invested $2.7 million to help Tenwek Hospital fulfill its healing, teaching, and sending mission. As we reflect on our partnership with Tenwek, we know that its mission has never been more important. This is not only humanitarian work. Friends of Tenwek is so deeply committed to Tenwek’s mission because of its profound spiritual dimension. The love of God and the redeeming hope of life in Christ is continually extended to each patient and every family who seeks medical care from Tenwek Hospital. As a Friend of Tenwek, you are an essential part of an amazing move of God. We are deeply grateful for your support.”
2020 Gift Highlights
- $104,647 – to help Tenwek prepare for COVID-19
- $151,000 – to support the purchase and installation of a Health Management Information System
- $94,917 – to support construction of resident housing
- $137,561 – unrestricted funds to be used “Where Most Needed”
2020 Grant Highlights
FOT provided funds totaling $489,795 to Tenwek Hospital in 2020 – a increase of 11% over last year. These grants included:
- $150,000 – to purchase an oxygen concentrator as part of COVID-19 preparations
- $66,407 – for surgical residency scholarships
- $43,251 – to provide dental equipment
- $33,518 – for renovations to the Sue Steury Building
- $30,476 – to support Neurosurgery Medical Officer needs
- $21,090 – to support the School of Chaplaincy
- $10,048 – to purchase 600 branded “white coats” for Tenwek Staff
2020 Operations & Achievements
In addition to raising critical funds for Tenwek Hospital needs and priorities, FOT accomplished the following:
- The FOT Board of Directors established a new Legacy Giving Fund with a goal of raising $5M for future needs at Tenwek Hospital. There is 100% participation by FOT Board members in this bequest intention initiative.
- FOT established a partnership with the National Christian Foundation to facilitate the promotion and acceptance of non-cash gifts of appreciated assets.
- FOT produced print and electronic versions of its first-ever gift catalog, Tenwek Tomorrow, mailed print copies to 1,600 constituents, and created a dedicated page on its website for online viewing of the catalog.
- FOT welcomed new FOT Champions in the medical specialty areas of Pediatrics, General Surgery and Neurosurgery.
- Janie Leland, who had been serving as FOT’s Ambassador on-site at Tenwek Hospital, was recalled to the U.S. as the pandemic curtailed international travel. She subsequently was appointed to serve as FOT’s Associate Director of Development, a new position tasked with strengthening donor relationships, expanding FOT’s base of donor support, and streamlining fundraising operations.
FOT expenses are kept to a minimum; just 10% of revenue ($74,912) was used for fundraising, communications, and operational expenses in 2020. That means 90% (90 cents) of every dollar raised was available to support the mission and work of Tenwek Hospital. The largest portion of expenses in 2020 was related to the production of the Tenwek Tomorrow gift catalog.