2019 Impact Report
“Since its inception, Friends of Tenwek has directed over $1.1 million to support Tenwek Hospital’s healing and teaching mission. That is an extraordinary testament to the generous and faithful hearts of hundreds of donors who have made gifts of all sizes for many diverse needs.”
Your Giving Creates Impact!
Since FOT began to build a network of supporters for Tenwek Hospital in 2012, it has funded numerous projects that enhance the medical and spiritual care extended to hospital patients and their surrounding communities. Every gift supports Tenwek’s mission of providing compassionate health care that reflects the love of Christ for all people.
All of FOT’s funding decisions are made in full partnership with Tenwek Hospital leaders – their priorities are our priorities! We also support outreach programs that enhance the health, spiritual life, and well-being of residents in the greater Bomet area.
FOT’s 2019 Fundraising Record
FOT received $648,404 USD in donations in 2019. In addition to general funds, restricted gifts included:
- Residency Scholarships – $103,000
- Resident Housing – $142,000
- Surgical Implants (Gift-in-Kind) – $116,000 (retail value of $900,000)
With an all-volunteer staff, FOT expenses are kept to a minimum; just 7% of revenue ($44,792) was needed for fundraising, communications, and operational expenses. That means 93% of every dollar raised was available to support the mission and work of Tenwek Hospital.
- FOT made grants of $442,147 to Tenwek Hospital. The largest grants include:
- $133,130 to provide Digital Radiology Equipment
- $81,000 to support construction/renovation of the Renal-Oncology Unit
- $10,173 to support the planning efforts of the Launching Task Force for Tewek Hospital’s School of Chaplaincy
Support for Special Ministries
- Threads of Hope Vocational Training School – provided sewing machines for 17 students enrolled in the Threads of Hope school, a ministry of Tenwek Hospital’s Community Health & Development Program and the Bethesda Africa Gospel Church.
- Faith Fund for Special Needs – provided specialized, all-terrain wheelchairs to more than 30 children seen at Tenwek’ Special Needs Clinic, impacting both the children and their families.
- Mercy Fund for Orphans – paid the health care expenses for 350 children from five local orphanages who were treated at Tenwek Hospital.
- Welcomed several new Medical Specialty/Special Ministry Champions who advocate for short-term visits and support from colleagues. The new Champion areas include: Prosthetics and Orthotics, Hospice Care, Pediatrics, General Surgery, and Threads of Hope Vocational Training School.
- Added 122 new Friends to the FOT communications and donor data base; 117 of these new Friends made gifts totaling $134,234.