Tenwek CARES. We are not Scared. We are Prepared.
That’s the message Tenwek Hospital is proclaiming to its community – within the hospital and beyond. In consultation with Bomet County health officials, Tenwek Hospital leaders:
- Constructed a dedicated, 6-bed isolation unit in an existing building (former Mortuary Chapel)
- Are developing a 22-bed holding and care area adjacent to the hospital’s main entrance (former Maternal Child Health)
- Mandated health screening for all persons entering the hospital
- Conducted specialized training for staff
- Are seeking additional Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including gowns, masks, gloves, and goggles; medications; hand sanitizers; and cleaning supplies
- Suspended all on-site classes at the College of Health Sciences and the School of Chaplaincy and launched some online medical and spiritual education and worship opportunities
- Cancelled all elective surgeries (with 46% of patients still presenting with emergency needs)
- Are holding soap-making workshops for local residents, providing materials and training (through the Tenwek Community Health & Development hygiene and sanitation program)
- Plan to use 1,000 cloth face masks produced by students in the Threads of Hope program (a vocational sewing program for marginalized women) to be worn over surgical masks in an attempt to prolong the use of scarce surgical masks
- Have Tenwek Hospital’s own Tailoring Department sewing PPE surgical gowns with hoods
In addition, medical mission visits to Tenwek have been suspended and the missionary doctors and staff at Tenwek are working without the outside professional assistance they rely on for coverage and education.
How You Can Help
- Pray for the health and strength of Tenwek’s staff as they continue to deliver life-saving care to their patients.
- Pray for Tenwek’s leaders to continue to plan and act with great faith, wisdom, and compassion.
- Pray for the nursing students and chaplaincy students who have been sent home – that they will continue to learn and serve during the hiatus.
- Pray for the health and salvation of Tenwek patients and their families.
- Make a gift to help Tenwek acquire and install an Oxygen Generator, develop two isolation wards, and purchase PPEs, cleaning supplies, and other equipment.
Send checks to:
FRIENDS OF TENWEK INC.
1132 Greenbridge Drive
Matthews, NC 28105