Visiting Tenwek Hospital
World Medical Mission, a division of Samaritan’s Purse, is the primary contact for Christian physicians, dentists, and other medical professionals who desire to serve in short-term service at Tenwek Hospital. The international relief organization coordinates all details, including:
- Matching each professional’s interests, abilities, and time frame
- Providing orientation and spiritual resources before and during the assignment
- Arranging international travel schedules and airline ticketing
- Assisting with necessary visas, permits, and other field requirements
- Coordinating field housing and transportation
- Assisting volunteers in handling financial details related to overseas service
Staff from Samaritan’s Purse will meet you at the airport in Kenya and arrange a night’s lodging at a guesthouse in Nairobi if necessary. Samaritan’s Purse drivers will escort you to Tenwek through the Rift Valley and center of Maasai land (a four-hour journey by car). There is a comfortable guesthouse on the hospital campus with some private apartments. There also is a common area and staff who can make meals (or you can cook for yourself).
Tenwek is in a rural mountainous area surrounded by small farms and tea plantations. It is a family-friendly environment and a safe area. Elevation is 6,000 feet; although you are near the equator, the climate is moderate and changes with the rhythm of “dry” and “rainy” seasons.
If you are interested in serving at Tenwek, please contact the FOT Champion listed in your area of medical specialty or Dayna Wright, who oversees volunteer physicians for Tenwek at World Medical Missions (firstname.lastname@example.org /828-278-1168).